Questions To Ask Your Doctor When You're Having Gut Issues
If you recently started having issues with your gut health, things can get overwhelming fast. Once you start researching, it seems like there can be SO many things wrong, where do you even begin? We put together a list of questions to ask your doctor to help you identify your issues sooner and not suffer for years as our founder did.
Know Your Medical History
Although it may seem like these problems came out of nowhere, there could be something in your past that can be the cause of your discomfort. Be sure to include:
- Family history of GI problems
- Current supplement intake
- Use of antibiotics
- Past test results
Take Note Of All Of Your Symptoms
This may seem obvious, but come prepared. Write down everything for weeks leading up to your appointment. That means bowel movements [shape, color, frequency], sleep, energy levels, mood changes, bloat, stomach discomfort, etc. Be specific and be honest. Remind yourself that doctors have heard it all! Small details can provide context for what’s going on in your body.
Questions To Ask
Now that you’ve gotten the basics out of the way, come prepared with questions you want to ask. Write them down and take note of the doctor’s responses. This can help you keep track of everything and understand the doctor’s process. A few questions to consider:
- What tests will you need to do?
- How long will the tests take?
- When will I get the results?
- Can you explain the difference between IBS, IBD, ulcerative colitis, and Crohn’s disease?
- What lifestyle changes do I need to make?
- Should I be taking supplements?
- Should I avoid any physical activity?
- What side effects will I experience as I’m healing?
- Should I consider the functional medicine approach?
- What should I be monitoring until my next appointment?
Remember to advocate for yourself. You know your body and if you don’t think a doctor is taking your problems seriously, find a new doctor. It’s also helpful to find a community that understands what you’re going through.
You are not alone!You can also talk to your doctor about using our GoodGut Program to heal your gut! It’s a 30-day roadmap to healing your gut based on the functional medicine approach to gut health.